— by BG Joshi —
- In 2016, India won the gold in the Asian Champions Trophy, silver in the Azlan Shah Cup, Champions Trophy and South Asian Games, and bronze in the Festival of Hockey in Australia.
- India had an impressive playing record of 19 wins against 17 losses in 2016. She also scored more goals – 103 to be precise, than conceded (84 goals) in all matches against all countries in 2016.
- The top 5 goal scorers for India in 2016 were Rupinderpal Singh (25 goals), VR Raghunath (9 goals), Ramandeep Singh (8 goals), Nikkin Thimmaiah and Akashdeep Singh (7 goals each).
- The darker side of the India’s performance was failing to win a single match against Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand and Spain in 2016.
- India had a winning record (more wins than losses) in 2016 against the Asian and American continents, and a losing record against Europe and Oceania.
- India did not play against any African country in 2016.
- In the year-ending FIH tournament, Indian juniors won the Junior Men’s World Cup in Lucknow to end the year on a victorious note.
- India had a cumulative losing record (14 wins vs. 22 losses) but a positive strike rate (99 goals scored vs. 90 goals conceded) across all matches against all countries in 2016.
- The joint top scorers for India in 2016 were Rani Rampal and Deepika Thakur, both with 14 goals each.
- India failed to win a single match (0 wins) in 2016 against Argentina, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Japan and New Zealand.
- India had a winning record of more wins than losses against the African, American and Asian continents, and a losing record (more losses than wins) against Europe and Oceania.
- India won the gold in the 2016 Asian Champions Trophy and 2016 South Asian Games.